Monday, January 21, 2013

Premature Praise For A Solid Start

As is customary, all diets and workout regiments start on a Monday. Any other day of the week makes absolutely no sense and is primed for failure. So today, I woke up gung ho on the idea of starting on my path to physical excellence.
Ok. I lied. I woke up, snuggled up with my puppy, stole more than my fair share of the covers, and hit the snooze button four times.  By the time I dragged myself out of bed, I was dangerously close to being late for work. Usually, I count my morning a success if I remember to accessorize my outfit with pants. Today, already late and feeling overly ambitious, I grabbed my gym clothes and in the spirit of fitness, sprinted out the door, hurdling over the laundry basket, and running through the obstacle course of dog toys that litter my living room. I exercised my impressive cursing vocabulary on the drive, but I don't think cursing under my breath burns many calories.
One looong shift and 40 minutes in rush hour traffic later, I made it to the gym! Maybe the trick is to go straight from work and skip the potential of getting sucked into How I Met Your Mother reruns on my comfortable, beckoning couch. It felt good to walk in there a few weeks into January like "Look everyone. I am not a New Years resolution groupie. It is almost February and here I am!" Never mind that I started my resolution three weeks late and have yet to establish any pattern of going, but nobody has to know that. Fortunately, I belong to a gym where nobody is keeping track of my comings and goings, and I don't have to hide my shame of having at least 4 months of "excused absences" under my sizable belt.
I put in an hour of solid "warm ups" today.I tried running for a minute at a time, and felt like my heart was going to burst out of my chest. I am determined to work up to that, but for now, I would very much like to not become a YouTube sensation by flying off the treadmill into a pile of lumpy limbs. Tomorrow, I will pack another pair of sweats and hope that I am motivated to keep on driving past my house and get off at the next exit to my gym. I need more days of packed pants and missing my exit. One day down, 60 pounds to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment